Strategies often stumble during implementation.
External turbulence compounds the challenges managers face to maintain traction.
Good strategic metrics, embedded in a performance management culture, help teams understand where they are, what's blocking their progress, and how to accelerate towards their strategic goals. They help decision-makers ask strategic questions, see and interpret patterns, and gain insight.
In a sea of data, precision counts: we've found that less is more, and that successful teams home in on a small set of 'power' indicators to navigate implementation. Our approach is to engage managers in the process of setting targets, interpreting information, and identifying and communicating patterns.
We offer expert guidance in metrics and performance measurement, helping teams:
- Align metrics with strategy and logic models
- Define key data sources and a portfolio of quantitative and qualitative indicators
- Design nimble processes for capturing and interpreting performance data
- Craft simple, powerful dashboards to monitor and communicate results
- Structure feedback loops for exploring implications, and improving strategic deliberation and decision-making
- Weave performance measurement into the fabric of the organization's culture
Typical deliverables from performance measurement programs include:
- a concise set of strategic performance metrics, linked to strategy (and logic chains)
- dashboards that portray baselines, targets, results over time, implications
- a common language, clear roles, and practical processes for data collection, monitoring, and interpreting results.
For more information about our approach with private sector clients, see the articles